Thursday, July 15, 2010

Aquamarine U-turn

The prototype is finished... well to a point.  This is what I love about creating, the materials tell a story. This stone doesn't want baguette diamonds or hand engraving. It needs something softer, sleeker, more modern. I have left the wax big and blocky so that I can create the look I want in the metal (and to be a little bit mysterious, I'll admit). It costs a little more to do it this way, as it increases the initial weight of the casting, but the opportunity to work through the design in metal is worth it as I can take a bit more time with it. Time to really let the idea develop. Intrigued yet? I am using lost wax casting to turn the wax into 18k ultra white gold. I outsource this work at a casting house. The ring is there today. The owner of the casting house has been nice enough to let my brother Traven take some photos of the casting process tomorrow morning so that you can get a good sense of the whole process.

No comments: